This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
- Polish Meat Pierogi - January 5, 2021
- Borscht (Barszcz Czerwony) – Authentic Polish Recipe - December 10, 2020
- Mushroom Pierogi “Uszka” for Borscht - December 8, 2020
This Smashed Chickpea Avocado Feta Sandwich is a super healthy and super easy lunch option to prepare on the fly. It can be prepared in less then 10 minutes and tastes out of this world delicious.
Smashed Chickpea Avocado Feta Sandwich as a healthy lunch option
Whenever I feel sluggish and heavy I like to come up with light and healthy options to eat during the day. I recently felt this need; especially in the wake of Super Bowl. And so it was that this Smashed Chickpea Avocado Feta Sandwich was born.
Previously when I was working a corporate job, I would often take in some chickpeas in a tupper wear and a whole avocado for lunch. Then for lunch, I would just slice up the avocado into my chickpeas and add some olive oil (which I always had). Another workplace staple was lemon. I always had fresh lemons in the community fridge. For some reason people thought this was weird.
But I love my salads with lemon and olive oil. It was so easy to just have it there and bring salad or chickpeas and avocado and just top it with some squeezed lemon and some drizzled olive oil. Voila you have a healthy lunch right there.
But I took this Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwich to another level. I added FETA cheese! For those of you who regularly follow this blog, you’re aware that I can’t even express how much I love feta cheese. I can eat it all the time!
I think this post combines two of my favorite pairings together: avocado +feta and avocado + chickpeas. For an extra freshness I added sliced cucumber and for a little punch – …a peppery arugula. I served it on the multigrain bread and, as this post suggest, it came out delicious.
Ingredients needed to make this Chickpea Avocado Sandwich
This Smashed Chickpea Avocado Feta Sandwich really comes together super quickly. You’ll only need a handful of ingredients:
- Olive Oil;
- Lemon Juice;
- Multigrain bread (or any bread of your choice; you can even use homemade crusty bread)
I served mine with cucumber and arugula but you can add whatever you want to it or even ungarnished. But if you chose to garnish, then some suggestions would be:
- Romaine Lettuce
- Peppers etc.
Other recipes with Feta
If you’ve been following my blog for a while, I’m sure you’re aware of know my Feta obsession. If you’re looking for some other suggestions to help satisfy your feta cravings , here are a few other recipes that I’ve used it in:
- Roasted Butternut Squash Feta Pierogi;
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower Mediterranean Style;
- Baked Eggs with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese;
- Potato Leek and Feta Pie;
- Greek Lentil Soup with Feta;
- Greek Chicken with Tomatoes, Cauliflower and Feta;
- Greek Spinach Rice with Feta;
- Horiatiki Salad with Golden Greek Pepperonicini.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Smashed Chickpea Avocado Feta Sandwich and use it whenever you’re in need of a quick and healthy lunch.
Smashed Chickpea Avocado Feta Sandwich
- 1/2 cup Chickpeas either cooked or canned
- 1 Avocado
- 2 tablespoon Feta Cheese or up to 1/4 cup
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1/2 Lemon Zest and Juice
- 4 slices Bread Multigrain
- 10 slices Cucumber
- handful Arugula
- Salt and Pepper to tast
- Pinch of red Pepper Flakes
- Toast your bread in a toaster over to your liking;
- Place chickpea in a bowl (you can save some of the beans to add as whole at the end) and smash them with the fork;
- Add cut up avocado and mix together;
- Add olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice, feta cheese, salt, pepper, pepper flakes and gently mix together; (if you saved some whole chickpea beans add them now)
- Place the mixture on a slice of bread, top it with cucumber, arugula and the second piece of bread. Enjoy.
More recipes to try: