Only 5 minutes of preparation is needed for this amazing Slow Cooker Whole Roasted Chicken. Spice it up. Set it and forget it. The most juicy chicken you could ever imagine.
The recipe for this Slow Cooker Whole Roasted Chicken was originally published in March 2015. Because of its popularity I updated it with providing additional information.
The cold months are ahead of us and even though I think that slow cooker is a perfect dish to cook with all year round, the fall and winter are the seasons when it is mostly used. If you don’t cook in slow cooker during the summer, it’s time to bring it back to live. You can have this perfect Slow Cooker Whole Roasted Chicken for your next Sunday dinner with no effort whatsoever.
It only takes 5 minutes of your time to prepare it and then the crockpot finishes the job. I’ve made this Slow Cooker Turkey Breast in a slow cooker before, on numerous occasions, and I usually achieve a very crispy skin. As you can see from these photos, the same is true for my chicken. I’ve been asked before, how do I achieve this crispy skin from a crockpot? Do I fire it under the boiler to finish it off? The answer is: no. Maybe it’s my slow cooker, because it always comes out like this. Crispy and delicious!
Slow Cooker Whole Roasted Chicken is very tender. It will fall of the bone. The photos show it all. You’ll never achieve this much moisture in a chicken by roasting it in the oven. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love oven roasted chicken. But, my point is that the chicken made in slow cooker is a totally different meal. The juices will simply pour from this bird. You can also use the juices to baste on top of the chicken if you wish, or even make a gravy out of it. I also make it a point to use brined chicken, so that too may add to the level of moisture and taste of this fabulous chicken. I do most of my grocery shopping in Trader’s Joe and they carry brined organic whole chicken.
The best part of this dish is that you can use as much or as little spice as you wish. You can also add various kinds of spices, depending on your liking. I use
- sweet Hungarian paprika,
- garlic powder,
- onion powder,
- a pinch of cayenne,
- & salt and pepper; but possibilities are endless.
So, get your crockpot ready and try to make this fabulous Slow Cooker Whole Roasted Chicken. Just take 5 minutes of your time, season the bird, place it on top of 4 aluminum foil balls and set it up for couple of hours to cook. Once done, enjoy it. It is the best spent 5 minutes of your time. And you family will be vey happy 🙂
You may want to serve it with:
- Parmesan Spinach Orzo
- Wild Mushroom Risotto with Bacon and Leeks
- Cauliflower Pasta Bake with Brie & Fontina
- Lebanese Mujadara – Rice & Lentils with Crispy Onions
Slow Cooker Whole Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole chicken (the best is organic and brined)
- 2 tablespoons sweet hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon less of cayenne pepper
- aluminum foil
- Rinse and pat the chicken dry
- Mix all spices in a bowl
- Rub the spice mix all over the chicken, inside and out, and if you can under the skin too
- Create 4 balls from aluminum foil
- Place the chicken on top of the aluminum balls
- Cover and set it up on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours. Or until the chicken is cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165 F
- Remove the chicken carefully, carve and serve.
If you like this recipe you may also like these slow cooker recipes: