This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This amazing Spanish Potato Salad is made with Red Idaho® Potatoes, Roasted Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes, Chorizo, Spanish Manzanilla Olives, Green Onions and it’s covered with a very flavorful dressing made from Spanish Sherry Vinegar, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Garlic, Mustard and two types of Spanish Smoked Paprika (sweet and hot). The potato salad is then finished with some chopped parsley for that extra kick of freshness. There’s no mayo in this salad so it can hold up very well at the outdoor parties.
I partnered up with Idaho® Potatoes Commission to bring you this amazing Spanish Potato Salad recipe with the best Idaho® Potatoes.
Spanish Potato Salad with Red Idaho® Potatoes.
For this Spanish Potato Salad, I decided to use Red Idaho® Potatoes. The best kind for a potato salad would be Red Cal, but the other varieties of Red Idaho® Potatoes would work here as well. The waxy texture with its white flesh interior and excellent taste made for an easy choice for me. You can find several varieties of Idaho® Potatoes here.
If for some reason you can’t find red potatoes then Idaho® Yukon Gold Potatoes could work too, but you’ll have a slightly different taste and look to this Spanish Potato Salad.
And if you’re interested in seeing few of my other recipes with Idaho® Potatoes, check these out: Greek Lemon Potatoes, where I used Russet Idaho® Potatoes; and Potatoes Boulangere, where I used Yukon Gold Idaho® Potatoes.
What Is Needed to Make This Spanish Potato Salad
This Spanish Potato Salad is not your average potato salad. It has a ton of flavor and NO MAYO at all. It also has a number of typical Spanish ingredients, which marry together to really transport you to Spain. Here’s what you need to gather to make this potato salad:
- Red Idaho® Potatoes;
- Spanish Cured Chorizo;
- Roasted Red Peppers;
- Cherry Tomatoes;
- Green Spanish Manzanilla Olives with Pimiento;
- Scallions (Green and White Parts);
- Sherry Vinegar;
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil;
- Dijon Mustard;
- Sweet Spanish Smoked Paprika;
- Hot Spanish Smoked Paprika;
- Salt & Pepper.
Potential Substitutes for Ingredients That You Can’t Find:
- As mentioned previously, you can substitute Red Idaho® Potatoes with Yukon Gold Idaho® Potatoes.
- If you can’t find cured Spanish Chorizo, you can substitute it with cured salami.
- You can substitute Spanish Olives with any olives of your choice.
- If you can’t find sherry vinegar, you can use white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar.
- If you can’t find sweet Spanish smoked paprika, use regular smoked paprika.
- If you can’t find hot Spanish smoked paprika, use Cayenne pepper. However, if you don’t like any spiciness in your potato salad, feel free to skip it.
How to Make Smoky Spanish Potato Salad
This potato salad is very easy to make. Follow these few simple steps:
Step 1: Wash and cut your potatoes into approximately 1-inch pieces, then place them into a pot of cold water with salt, and boil until fork tender. Drain them and let them cool off.
Note: the way you cut your potatoes is a personal preference, you can leave them bigger for more texture, or cut them smaller, into more of a bite-size. If the potatoes are cut smaller, they’ll cook faster, so keep an eye on them.
Step 2: Cut your roasted peppers into bite-size pieces. Cut your tomatoes and olives in half. Cut your chorizo into little squares. Chop scallions, both white and green parts, and chop your parsley.
Step 3: Prepare the dressing. In a jar mix together: vinegar, garlic, mustard, olive oil, both types of paprika, and salt & pepper. Shake to combine.
Step 4: Assemble the salad. Place cooled potatoes into a mixing bowl, pour over the dressing and gently mix. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix again. Move the salad onto a serving platter and sprinkle with parsley. Serve it up!
What to Serve this Potato Salad With
This Potato Salad is made without mayonnaise and as such, it’s really great for any BBQ or other outdoor entertainment. You can serve it alongside your favorite summer meats or seafood, straight from the grill. Here are a couple of my suggestions:
- Honey BBQ Pork Souvlaki
- Smoky BBQ Burger with Fried Egg
- Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs
- Honey Harrisa Chicken Skewers
- Grilled Chicken Shawarma
Other Spanish Recipes to Try:
Here is your Printable Recipe for Spanish Potato Salad:
Spanish Potato Salad
- 8 Medium Red Idaho® Potatoes washed and cut into 1” sized pieces;
- 1/2 cup Cherry Tomatoes cut in half;
- 1/3 cup Spanish Manzanilla Green Olives with Pimentos;
- 1/3 cup Roasted Red Peppers chopped;
- ¼ cup Spanish Cured Chorizo cubed;
- 2 tablespoon Scallions white and green parts, chopped;
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Parsley chopped;
- 3 cloves Garlic minced;
- 3 tablespoons Sherry Vinegar;
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard;
- 5 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil;
- 1 teaspoon Sweet Smoked Paprika;
- ¼ teaspoon Hot Spanish Smoked Paprika;
- ¼ teaspoon Salt;
- ¼ teaspoon Fresh Black Pepper
- Place your cut up Red Idaho® Potatoes into a pot, cover with water, and add 1 tablespoon of table salt. Boil for about 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and cool off.
- Cut your roasted peppers into bite-size pieces. Cut your tomatoes and olives in half. Cut your chorizo into little squares. Chop scallions, both white and green parts, and chop your parsley.
- Prepare the dressing. In a jar mix together: vinegar, garlic, mustard, olive oil, both types of paprika, and salt & pepper. Shake to combine.
- Assemble the salad: place cooled potatoes into a mixing bowl, pour over the dressing and gently mix. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix again. Move the salad onto a serving platter and sprinkle with parsley. Serve it up!