This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
- Rosol – Polish Chicken Soup (Authentic Recipe) - September 18, 2023
- Grilled Chicken Shawarma (Easy Middle Eastern Dish) - September 14, 2023
- Pan Fried Haddock Mediterranean Style - September 8, 2023
Fennel Chicken Mediterranean Style with carrots, raisins, and olives is a very easy, one-pot meal for any day of the week. It is seasoned with cinnamon, cumin and smoked paprika for an irresistible and flavorful chicken dish.
This post may contain affiliate links. I get commissions for purchases made through the affiliate links. You can read my disclosure policy HERE.
Mediterranean Spices in Fennel Chicken Recipe
Chicken breast can be tricky to cook. It cooks so quickly and can dry out in no time at all. Braising the chicken breast in a very fragrant sauce can be a key to success. As it is in this super delicious recipe for Fennel Chicken.
The spices used here remind me of Morocco & Spain. I used cinnamon, cumin and smoked paprika (both sweet & hot Spanish smoked paprika). The addition of raisins and green olives further that typical to Moroccan theme, and likewise, green olives can be found anywhere in Spain. I considered just calling this recipe for Fennel Chicken: ‘Moroccan style,’ but due to its Spanish influence, I figured ‘Mediterranean style’ was more appropriate. I also used this combination of spices with this Mediterranean Chicken Stew with Sweet Potatoes, Beans and Olives which is my number 1 stew EVER! So check it out if you like these spices.
Sweet and Spicy Flavor of Fennel Chicken
What I truly like about this Fennel Chicken recipe is the fact that it is both sweet and spicy at the same time. Both the fennel and carrots have a natural sweetness; but if it wasn’t enough…I added some awesome raisins to it too. Then the saltiness from olives and the punch of spice from the Spanish smoked paprika marry together for a really nice combination.
You also want to add some freshness to this Fennel Chicken dish. So once it’s done, sprinkle with some chopped parsley and basil.
What to Serve this Fennel Chicken With
I would say that the best way to serve it would be with:
Ingredients Needed to Make This Mediterranean Chicken with Fennel
So what do you need to make this amazing Fennel Chicken Mediterranean Style:
- Chicken breast;
- Chicken stock;
- Orange juice (Boom….who’d have guessed it?);
- Smoked paprika (both sweet, and Spanish style hot);
- Extra virgin olive oil;
I’d imagine that you already have most of these ingredients handy. If not, they’re often found at any general grocery store. However, if your local supermarket doesn’t carry Spanish smoked paprika you can get it on Amazon at the link provided.
The steps to make this chicken are easy and can be found below in the printable recipe card.
When I served this Fennel Chicken to my husband for dinner, he said that he really loves how unique the flavors are. You don’t usually get this kind of combination of flavors across America. So, although it’s super easy to make, the exoticness of this Fennel Chicken will definitely impress your loved ones.
Other Popular Mediterranean Recipes:
- Pan Fried Haddock Mediterranean Style
- Farfalle Pasta Mediterranean Style
- Spanish Style Garlic Shrimp
- Spanish Potato Salad with Chorizo and Smoked Paprika
- Tomato Feta Salad
Other Popular Chicken Recipes to Try:
- Chicken Chasseur (French Hunter’s Chicken)
- Oven Roasted Chicken Legs
- Chicken Paprikash
- Olive Oil Chicken Mediterranean Style
- Dijon Chicken with Meyer Lemons
Fennel Chicken Mediterranean Style with Carrots, Raisins and Olives
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 3 carrots sliced
- 1 fennel our into squares
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup olives green
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika + a little bit of Spanish smoked paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tbsp Italian parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp basil chopped
- Heat up an olive oil and butter in a skillet;
- Season chicken breast with salt, pepper, and sweet smoked paprika on both sides;
- Once the pan is hot, seared the chicken on both sides for about 4 minutes until nicely golden brown;
- Remove the chicken from the pan and add fennel and carrots; Cook for about 7 minutes, stirring often;
- Add cinnamon, cumin and smoked paprika (and a pinch of hot Spanish smoked paprika), stir and cook for about a minute;
- Return the chicken to the pan with all the accumulated juices;
- Add orange juice, chicken stock and raisins;
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes;
- Add olives and season with salt and pepper; taste and adjust any seasoning at this point;
- Remove the chicken, slice it and place on a serving dish;
- Top the chicken with vegetables and sauce, sprinkle with basil and parsley and serve with couscous or crusty bread. Enjoy
This post was originally published on August 9, 2017, and since then was updated to provide additional information.