This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Some best things in life are the simplest ones. This Tomato Feta Salad is as simple as it gets, and it is super delicious! When ripe, juicy tomatoes are in season you’ll want to eat it every day. It contains a few simple ingredients and it comes together in no time at all.
This post may contain affiliate links. I get commissions for purchases made through the affiliate links. You can read my disclosure policy HERE.
Tomato Feta Salad – Amazing Side Dish with a Tone of Mediterranean Flavor
When the tomato season rolls around I’m as happy as a kid. In fact, I grow my own tomatoes and when they are ripe, I really have an abundance of them. I grow different varieties of them, like Beefsteaks, Roma, Cherry, and some hybrids. I love them all.
Because I have so many tomatoes in the season I like to have quite a few recipes that I can rotate through and that family loves. Some of my go-toes are Summer Panzanella with Garlic Butter Croutons or Greek Panzanella or a simple Horiatiki Salad. Oh, and I almost forgot this Penne Alla Vecchia Bettola, made from my Roma tomatoes is one of the most popular recipes on this site (do yourself a favor and check this one out).
But this Tomato Feta Salad has a special place in my heart because the tomato is really the star! And did I mention that I really love tomatoes? I wouldn’t be myself if I didn’t dress my tomatoes in Mediterranean flavors like feta, parsley, mint, red onions, dry oregano, red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, etc. Need I say more? I will….it’s simply perfection!
How to Make Tomato Feta Salad
(For a full printable recipe with exact measurements, steps, and nutritional information, scroll down to the bottom of the post)
Step 1: Gather your Tomato Feta Salad Ingredients:
- Large, ripe tomatoes (like Beefsteak or Heirloom);
- Red Onions;
- Feta Cheese;
- For the dressing: Extra Virgin Olive Oil; Red Wine Vinegar; Salt, Pepper, Dry Oregano.
Step 2: Grab a nice oval platter and start assembling:
- Start with thick slices of tomatoes;
- Follow with half-moon slices of red onion;
- Then add chopped herbs;
- Top with chunks of good quality Feta Cheese.
Step 3: Take a Mason Jar and add all dressing ingredients to it then shake it well. Pour it over the salad and serve.
Recipe tip: This is a very simple recipe with just a few ingredients and therefore it is super important to use THE BEST quality ingredients: (i) super ripe, but firm tomatoes; (ii) very fresh green herbs; (iii) very good Feta cheese (ie, a real Greek one that you buy in a brine and it is in the shape of block. My favorite is “Dodoni” and it’s not crumbled); and finally the best, fragrant extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar. Don’t skimp on the ingredients. You won’t get the best Tomato Feta Salad if you do.
What to Serve Tomato Feta Salad with:
This Tomato Feta Salad has all the Mediterranean Flavors so I am going to suggest a couple of my favorites Mediterranean recipes:
- Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs with Garlic Yogurt Dressing
- Grilled Chicken Shawarma
- BBQ Pork Souflaki
- Olive Oil Chicken Mediterranean Style
- Honey Harrisa Chicken Skewers
And for Vegetarian options I will suggest:
- Lebanese Mujadara (Lentils, Rice with Fried Onions)
- Kolokithopita (Greek Zucchini Pie)
- Smashed Chickpea Avocado Feta Salad
- Mushroom Black Bean Veggie Burger
Tomato Feta Salad (Mediterranean Side Dish)
- 2 Heirloom Tomatoes large, sliced
- 1/2 Red Onion small, sliced (or 1/4 big one)
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese broken into chunks
- 1 tablespoon Parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mint chopped
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt Kosher
- 1/2 teaspoon Dry Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Grounded Black Pepper
- Slice your tomatoes in 1/3" thick slices and arrange them in a single layer on an oval serving plate.
- Top tomatoes with sliced red onions (moons or half moons).
- Add freshly chopped parsley and mint.
- Add chunks of good quality Feta cheese.
- Combine all the Dressing ingredients in a mason jar, shake to mix well and pour over the salad. Serve immediately.