This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
- Chicken Chasseur (French Hunter’s Chicken) - September 25, 2023
- Rosol – Polish Chicken Soup (Authentic Recipe) - September 18, 2023
- Grilled Chicken Shawarma (Easy Middle Eastern Dish) - September 14, 2023
This Creamy Spinach Soup with Parmesan Croutons is very easy, healthy and by far the best spinach soup I’ve eaten. Not to mention, with a few simple substitutions it can even be transformed into a vegan soup.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my disclosure policy here.
I have two little boys, and I don’t know about other parents of 5 and 1 year olds, but I struggle with getting into their bellies. Especially the older one, because he is very picky, and unless they’re totally blended or juiced, we have a problem. However there is one exception: this Greek Spinach Rice is something they’ll both eat. Other than that, I have to hide spinach either in smoothies or juices. So, I decided to create this Creamy Spinach Soup to see how that goes.
And it went pretty well. Maybe it’s because the foundation of this spinach soup is a combination of sautéed potatoes and leeks….and that’s always a winning combo. You can check few of my favorite recipes that use potatoes and leeks like:
Both of my boys love creamed potato leek soup. I remember when my older one was in a daycare and I was sending him soups every day; one of the teachers looked at me and said: “I don’t know what’s in this soup but he LOVES it!”. And that was a simple creamed potato and leek soup. So, here I decided to use this base and just add bunch of spinach to it. To my relief, it worked! They both ate it with no problems.
If you share in this struggle, please let me know how you get veggies into your kiddos. I’m curious and always looking for some creative ways to do this.
How do you make this Creamy Spinach Soup?
This spinach soup is very easy. You only need a handful of ingredients:
- Oli, ghee or butter;
- Stock or water;
- Cream (optional).
And if you want to serve it like I did you will need:
- Slice of sourdough bread;
- Shredded Parmesan cheese.
If you want to make this spinach soup vegan:
- use oil to sauté leeks and potatoes;
- omit the cream;
- omit the Parmesan cheese for the toast and just rub it with olive oil.
If you want some other ideas for toppings, here are a few:
- bacon bits;
- crispy prosciutto;
- dollop of Greek yogurt.
What do you need to make and serve this Creamy Spinach Soup?
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- I really love cooking soups in a Dutch Oven like this one. It makes it so easy for sautéing veggies first and then cooking them covered up.
- Obviously you can serve this soup in any bowl, but if you’re looking for something cute, these may be a good choice.
I hope you will enjoy this soup as much as we did. Cheers!
Creamy Spinach Soup with Parmesan Croutons
- 3 Leeks White and light green parts only, washed and chopped
- 5 Potatoes Small or 3 large, cut up into cubes
- 4 cups Baby Spinach washed
- 4 cups Stock or Water
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil, Ghee or Butter
- 6 tbsp Heavy Cream optional
- 1 Slice Sourdough Bread
- 1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a Dutch Oven or other heavy pan heat up oil or butter and add chopped leeks and potatoes. Sauté for 5 minutes;
- Add water or stock and cook for 20 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender;
- Add spinach and cook for another 5 minutes;
- In the meantime, sprinkle the parmesan cheese on a bread and toast in a toaster over for approximately 5 minutes until crispy; Remove from the oven and cut up into squares.
- Using handheld mixer blend the soup until smooth. You can also use a blender but be sure to blend soup in small batches as the content is hot and you can get burn.
- Serve the soup in bowls with Parmesan croutons and a dollop of cream.