This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
- Polish Meat Pierogi - January 5, 2021
- Borscht (Barszcz Czerwony) – Authentic Polish Recipe - December 10, 2020
- Mushroom Pierogi “Uszka” for Borscht - December 8, 2020
Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Smoked Paprika & Coconut Milk is a very flavorful and comforting soup. Spanish smoked paprika adds a little spice, while the coconut milk tempers it to create a perfect balance.
This Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Smoked Paprika & Coconut Milk is my latest accidental creation. I wanted to make a smoked paprika roasted cauliflower soup….but with tahini. Recently I was shopping in my local Trader Joe’s and saw Tahini, but I didn’t buy it because I was sure that I had a whole jar in my pantry.
Anyhow, fast forward a few days and there I was starting to cook this Roasted Cauliflower Soup and in the middle of it I realized that for some unexplainable reason my tahini is gone!!! Clearly I didn’t remember when I finished it off. However, my mind has been playing tricks on me for the last several months. Mind you, I had a baby 7 months ago and my hormones are still a bit out of whack, which translates to forgetfulness and foggy head. My memory used to be very sharp, so this is kinda new for me.
Well, I needed to gameplan on the fly, to find a solution that would work. That’s actually a pretty good example of how you can tweak recipes when you’re short of an ingredient but you have something else that can substitute it perfectly. I had just bought this awesome organic full fat coconut milk and decided to use it with this soup. Oh my… let me tell you, this was such a good decision!
I think I already mentioned it on couple of occasions, so those who follow this blog know how obsessed I am with Spanish smoked paprika. If you haven’t already done so, check out couple of my favorite recipes in which I used hot Spanish smoked paprika, like:
- Fennel Chicken Mediterranean Style
- Spanish Style Garlic Shrimp – Gambas al Ajillo
- Romesco Sauce
- Mediterranean Chicken Stew with Sweet Potatoes, Beans & Olives
Cauliflower is in season now, on the East Cost of United States. All the farms are sprouting it faster than can be consumed. I can’t stop myself. I love it so much that I buy it by compulsion. Check out my recent decadent, and not light at all, cauliflower creation: Cauliflower Pasta Bake with Brie and Fontina. It’s to die for. If you like a little more Asian flair, then try this Spicy Sriracha Cauliflower.
So the secret to really amazing dishes with cauliflower is to roast it. If you steam it, or simply boil it, then you may end up with either a tasteless white veggie or just mush. I highly recommend roasting cauliflower. For this specific one, I sprinkled it with some Mediterranean spices like:
- Smoked paprika (both sweet and spicy);
- Salt & pepper; then
- A drizzle of olive oil;
- Finally, roast till golden brown.
Every soup needs some texture, so in my opinion you need starchy potatoes. Here’s what I did:
- I sautéed some sweet onions with potatoes;
- Added most of the roasted cauliflower;
- Added stock and let it simmer;
- Blended it, and adjusted seasoning (I added extra spicy Spanish smoked paprika); and
- Served with remaining roasted cauliflower and parsley on top. Voila!
This is how we ate it on the first day. The next day though we were in a rush and I wanted us to eat something more substantial for lunch. I had some rye bread with caraway seeds, which I cut into little cubes and then toasted with a bit of olive oil. The crunch, with additional spices, was just epic. I couldn’t be happier with this. So, if you have some rye bread, make some croutons and add them to this amazing Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Smoked Paprika and Coconut Milk. It is really a perfect fall treat!
Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Smoked Paprika & Coconut Milk
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 Vidalia onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic large, chopped
- 1,5 cup potatoes cubed
- 4 cups stock chicken or vegetables
- 1 cup Coconut Milk full fat
- 2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Hot Spanish smoked paprika + more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- fresh parsley for garnish
- In a small bowl combine sweet smoked paprika, hot smoked paprika, coriander, turmeric, 1 teaspoon of salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat the oven to 400 F;
- On a baking sheet spread the cauliflower florets, drizzled with tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with the spice mixture; mix well; place in the oven and roast for about 30 minutes or until golden brown;
- In the meantime heat up another 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add chopped onion and sauté for about 4-5 minutes until translucent;
- Add chopped garlic and cook for about a minute;
- Add potatoes, mix well and add stock; cook for about 15 minutes until the potatoes are soft;
- Add 2/3 of roasted cauliflower and coconut milk and cook for few minutes until all flavors are merged;
- Using handheld blender blend the soup, season with salt and pepper, add lemon juice and check if more seasoning is needed;
- Serve it with remaining roasted cauliflower, sprinkle of hot smoked paprika and freshly chopped parsley.
If you’re inclined to try this recipe, then please use the hashtag #innocentdelight on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! Also, I encourage you to FOLLOW Innocent Delight on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER for all the latest recipes and updates.
If you like this recipe you may also like these soup recipes: