This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Chipotle Hummus with Roasted Pine Nuts is very simple and super delicious with a hint of smokiness from spicy chipotles and nice crunch from roasted pine nuts.
Chipotle Hummus with Roasted Pine Nuts will become your next favorite thing to make. I absolutely love Hummus! And it wasn’t until recently that I realized that homemade Hummus can be so easy and delicious. My realization started at my local farmers market in Long Beach, NY, where we used to live.
One summer afternoon, while on maternity leave, I decided to take a walk with my baby to the farmers market. Our normal daily routine was to just hit the boardwalk, get some fresh ocean air, burn some calories and head back home. This one afternoon however, the farmers market was calling my name. Little did I know that it would totally change my view on…you guessed it…HUMMUS. Since then, I’ve never bought Hummus in the store again.
This farmers market is great. It comes to Long Beach every year and sets up on a bi-weekly basis from April to November. You can buy amazing local fruits and veggies, cheese, breads, and pickles; but there are also organic soaps and all kinds of different artisan’ stands.
One thing which I insatiably bought there were the tomatoes – which start to be ripest in the middle of the summer. I tried to hit the market often over the weekends to get those tomatoes and make a tomato based dish like this Tomato Peppers Stew – Hungarian Lescho. At any rate, on a random Wednesday at the market a new stand showed up. The attendant looked at me and said: “I have the best hummus you have ever tried.” Of course I had to put that bold statement to the test: I tasted…I agreed…and I had to buy it on a weekly basis thereafter. Yet, come November my market was gone for the winter. Since then we have moved from Long Beach and I truly miss that farmer’s market.
However this rekindled addiction to hummus didn’t fade when I lost access to my hummus dealer. Rather, this is when I decided to cook up my own batch. The inspiration for this particular recipe came from Ina Garten. Whenever I use her recipes they always turn out to be super delicious. I ended up putting my own twist on the recipe, and let me tell you, it’s heavenly! In fact, dare I say, I think it is better then the one from the market. Please try this Chipotle Hummus with Roasted Pine Nuts and let me know how it comes out.
To make this amazing Chipotle Hummus with Roasted Pine Nuts you will need only a few ingredients:
- Canned chickpeas;
- Tahini (can be found in any grocery store; Trader Joe’s carries the organic one);
- Lemon juice;
- Chipotle peppers (I actually used the sauce from the can of “Chipotle in adobo ” instead of peppers as it is a little milder and you can actually control the spiciness);
- Slat & pepper;
- Pine nuts;
- Olive oil and some fresh parsley.
Making it is even simpler. A food processor will do the job for you. Once it is done you can either eat it with pita bread or smother it on Homemade Dutch Oven Crusty Bread or make Mediterranean Hummus Bowl. The choice is yours.
Chipotle Hummus with Roasted Pine Nuts
- 1,5 cup chickpeas 1 small 15 oz. can
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup Tahini paste
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 4-5 tbsp water from the chickpeas can
- 2-3 teaspoon chipotle sauce
- 0,5 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon parsley Italian - for garnish
- 2 teaspoon olive oil extra virgin
- Start to run the food processor and add garlic. Process until cut into small pieces and stop the motor;
- Add chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, can water, chipotle, salt and process until smooth;
- Heat up non stick skillet and add pine nuts, toss around for 2-3 minutes until roasted and golden brown;
- Taste hummus and adjust seasoning, lemon juice, spiciness. You can also add more water if needed.
- Pour Hummus into the bowl and top with, olive oil, pine nuts and parsley. Enjoy with pita bread
This post was originally posted on May 16, 2014 and it was since then updated to provide additional information.
If you like this recipe you may also like these Mediterranean dishes: