With the arrival of summer, so too comes the call for light and refreshing meals. This Mediterranean Platter with homemade roasted red pepper hummus, a medley of fresh veggies, olives, and feta, is the perfect way to satisfy this summer itch. Serve it with some pita bread and I’m sure it’ll leave you feeling amazing.
Mediterranean Platter with Hummus & Feta – an easy and quick meal that can be ready on the fly
This Mediterranean platter is one of those dishes that you can make on the fly. If you have guests unexpectedly popping in, or if you’re simply struck with a craving for a light lunch, it’ll just take you 10 – 15 minutes to prep. So easy, delicious and satisfying.
I’d say the most time-consuming aspect of the preparation is the chopping of fresh veggies (like cucumbers and tomatoes), or perhaps the peeling of garlic for the hummus (the food processor does the rest). Other than that, it’s very simple. Just place everything together on a platter and make it look pretty. Cut up and toast a pita, or not (for you carb counters), and feel like you’re transported to the Mediterranean coast.
Which ingredients are needed to make this Mediterranean Platter?
This is really a very simple dish and is certainly subject to adjustment based on your tastes.
- I made mine with Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, but you can use any kind you’d like. Some examples include Chipotle Hummus with Pine Nuts; or just Plain, like the one I used in the Mediterranean Hummus Bowl; or, for those looking to simplify this even further, just pick up a quality store bought version.
- I added the vegetables which you would normally find in Horiatiki (aka, ‘Greek Salad’) – tomatoes & cucumber.
- I used two kinds of olives: Kalamata and Italian Castelvetrano; but you can use whichever olives you’d like, or perhaps just skip them if you’re not an olive lover (but olive haters are a little suspect in my book).
- Because I made roasted red peppers hummus, I also added roasted peppers to the platter, but fresh peppers or pepperoncini would do the trick here too.
- I used pine nuts, but you can either omit them or use any nuts of your choice.
- I used mixed greens and parsley, but any lettuce, arugula or spinach could work.
- I used feta, as this is my all-time favorite cheese and screams ‘Mediterranean’ to me, but you can go with a goat cheese or fresh mozzarella instead.
- A simple seasoning of salt, pepper, oregano and a drizzle of olive oil, with a squeeze of lemon juice, will add the proper punch to this dish.
To make Roasted Red Pepper Hummus you’ll need:
- Chickpeas, with the water from the can;
- Tahini (sesame paste);
- Roasted Red Peppers;
- Lemon Juice;
How to make this Mediterranean Platter.
Again, this dish is super easy:
- For the hummus, just add everything into your food processor. Pulse a few times to get the right consistency and you’re done;
- Cut up tomatoes, cucumbers, olives;
- Place hummus in the middle of a serving platter;
- Add a bed of lettuce around the hummus;
- Add all the veggies on top of your lettuce bed;
- Add crumbled feta and parsley;
- Squeeze lemon juice all over the dish;
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the dish;
- Season with some salt, pepper, and dried oregano;
- Then serve with pita bread!
That’s it! Easy peasy…so healthy…so refreshing…and, most importantly, so so delicious!
Other Mediterranean Recipes
If you like this recipe you may also like these Mediterranean dishes:
- Farfalle Pasta Salad Mediterranean Style;
- Pan Fried Haddock Mediterranean Style;
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower Mediterranean Style;
- Kolokhitopita – Greek Zucchini Pie;
- Greek Spinach Rice with Feta;
- Or just check this compilation of The Best Mediterranean Recipes.
Mediterranean Platter with Roasted Hummus & Feta
Roasted Red Peppers Hummus
- 1 can Chickpeas + 2-3 tbsp Chickpea water from the can
- 1/3 cup Tahini paste
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 cup Roasted Red Peppers
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt up to 1/2 teaspoon depending on taste
- 1 cup Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 2 cups Mixed Greens
- 1/2 cup Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup Olives Kalamata & Castelvetrano
- 1/2 cup Cucumber cubed
- 1/3 cup Roasted Red Peppers cut
- 1/3 cup Feta crumbled
- 1/2 cup Parsley chopped
- 1/2 Lemon Juiced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano dried
- Salt & pepper to taste
Making the hummus: In a food processor combine all the hummus ingredients and mix pulsing until you get to the right consistency of your liking.
Assembling the Platter: Place hummus in the middle of the plater, spread lettuce around, add tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, roasted peppers, feta and parsley around the hummus;
Finishing up the plate: season it with salt, pepper, and oregano, squeeze the lemon juice and drizzle with olive oil;
Serving: serve with fresh or toasted pita bread.