This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
- Polish Meat Pierogi - January 5, 2021
- Borscht (Barszcz Czerwony) – Authentic Polish Recipe - December 10, 2020
- Mushroom Pierogi “Uszka” for Borscht - December 8, 2020
What is a simple trick to make your soft boiled eggs perfect every time? That is a question which has baffled generations of cooks. Despite the frustration in preparation, thoughts of soft boiled eggs always brings me back to my childhood. These were my absolute favorite type of eggs and were traditionally served on Sundays. Sundays were always special days for us kids. Part of that comes from the strong emphasis on Catholicism in Poland, but also peoples’ desire to make one day really special. In the poor, communist Poland of my era, groceries were not easily accessible and some things were very scarce. That’s why I think whenever my Mom was able to buy some good ingredients they always ended up on Sunday’s table. It was our celebration day. So I always observe my Sundays with a smile on my face, remembering the traditions imparted on me. One of the things that comes straight to mind is soft boiled eggs for breakfast. We eat them with the spoon and a side of fresh bread and butter.
Another reason why the eggs weren’t on my breakfast menu more frequently, was the widespread misconception that too many eggs can be detrimental to your health; as they can raise cholesterol levels. This theory has been since squashed, but back then, my mom truly believed in it and rationed me to 2 eggs per week.
Thankfully, nowadays, eggs are considered a super food and I can now eat as many as I want. You can scroll down to read 6 reasons why eggs are good for you.
So, how to make these amazing soft boiled eggs, with egg whites perfectly set and yolks golden and runny? My mom gave me this technique and it ALWAYS works. You need to put them in boiling water with a little bit of salt and set a timer for 6 minutes. After 6 minutes you need to immediately put them into a cold bath so their cooking process can be immediately stopped. But the real trick is to puncture the egg shell. When you initially put your cold egg into boiling water there’s a risk that it will crack. If that should happen, the egg isn’t going to come out well. In order to avoid it you need to punch the egg shell so when you place it in a water it releases tiny little bubbles and holds the shell intact. Also this punching will help with the hard boiled eggs. It’s way easier to peel them. With this puncture method the shells won’t come off with pieces of egg whites. These beautiful eggs are a must.
I have a special puncher that my mom brought me from Germany, but you can use a needle instead. Happy boiling.
7 Reasons why EGGS are good for you:
1. Eggs are among the most nutritious foods out there. They contain all the nutrients necessary to grow a baby chicken.
2. They contain various vitamins and minerals like: Vitamin A, Vitamins from B Group, Folate, Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamins: D, E, K, Calcium and Zinc.
3. They are a perfect source of protein. One egg contains 6 grams of proteins and all essential amino acids that people need. Proteins help with building muscles tissue. Studies have shown that consuming eggs in the morning may reduce number of calories consumed during the day, as eggs will fill you up for longer.
4. Eggs are great source of Omega 3 fatty acids that help reduce triglycerides, which are linked to heart disease.
5. They also contain a rarely found mineral Choline, that helps with cells membranes.
6. Although eggs are high in cholesterol they don’t adversely affect blood cholesterol. They may however increase bad cholesterol for small percentage of people. But in an effect they change small, dense particles into the large ones which are linked to a reduced risk of heart attack. Actually eggs can protect from heart disease, as they have positive effect on the good cholesterol.
7. Eggs contain Lutein, an antioxidant that promotes eye health.
So in a nutshell, eggs are nature’s perfect food. Go get some and for maximum enjoyment….soft boil one.
Comments and questions are very welcome. Let me know if you like soft boiled egg and if not what kind is your favourite.