This Smoked Salmon and Roasted Beets Salad with a Goat Cheese Dressing is super nutritious with simple elegance. It can be served for lunch or light dinner and for sure it will please your guests.
This post with the recipe for Smoked Salmon and Roasted Beets Salad was one of the first posts I had ever published in May of 2014. Admittedly, neither photos nor the post itself were great.
I feel like it wasn’t that long ago when I first clicked “publish” button on these initial posts. But now with the maturity of a few years of experience, I can definitely see some progress…
The funny thing is, is that when I first published this post for this Smoked Salmon and Roasted Beets Salad I was convinced that it was a winner. Well, I must respectfully disagree with my old self now. Don’t get me wrong the recipe was great; however everything else wasn’t that appealing.
Now, seeing that salads are a staple of many peoples’ New Years health kicks, I figured that it would be a good time to revitalize this post. So, I have recreated my recipe and taken new photos. Now, I’m happy to present you with this fantastic Smoked Salmon and Roasted Beets Salad.
The inspiration for this salad came from a lunch in the city with my husband in one of my favorite chain restaurants in NYC: Le Pain Quotidian . I ordered a Smoked Salmon Salad with Roasted Beets and Arugula, topped with a Goat Cheese Dressing. It was so delicious!
Obviously I had to try to recreate it – and I must say, it came out great. It’s very simple and elegant. When you serve it to guests you’ll surely hear the sound of satisfaction.
In fact, my husband isn’t a huge fun of beets (don’t ask me why); but he ate this salad and more to the point, he enjoyed it (though I’m not completely sure that he didn’t hide some of his beets). Yet if you really don’t like beets, you can always skip them or replace them with, for instance, roasted squash. But in my opinion substitutions won’t be the same.
I added a twist in here as well: …sliced avocado… I think every salad needs avocado, right? It just makes a huge difference. You can see for yourself by also trying this Garlic Lemon Chicken Salad with Glazed Onions Mustard Dressing.
So, why is this Smoked Salmon and Roasted Beets Salad so good for you?
- Beets are an extremely nutritious food choice that just happens to also be delicious. Beets have so many valuable health benefits that it’s hard to underestimate these vibrant beauties. They can:
- Lower your blood pressure;
- Boost your stamina;
- Fight inflammation;
- Help prevent against various types of cancer;
- And they’re packed with valuable nutrients and fiber (vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, folate).
*(BTW, if you’re sold on the health benefits of beets you may want to check my recipe for Beet Kvass, which takes beets to another level… I know… crazy…right?)
- Smoked salmon is an excellent source of protein, Omega-3 fatty acids and iron.
- And arugula? I love the peppery taste of this green. Not to mention, it’s tremendously good for you: it contains anti-cancer phytochemicals, & it’s a great source of vitamins A, C and K, as well as iron and cooper.
- If you top it all off with goat cheese dressing, made with buttermilk, you’re adding calcium and a healthy bacteria to the mixture. It can’t get any better than that.
- Oh and my avocado twist… I don’t even think I need to explain how healthy it is for you (20 minerals & vitamins and all these amazing healthy fats…so good for ya)!
Alright, I hope that I’ve convinced you to give it a try. If you make it use #innocentdelight and show me your creation 🙂
- 3 Red Beets medium size
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Goat Cheese Dressing
- 4 oz Goat Cheese plain
- 4 tbsp Buttermilk
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgine
- 1 tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Dill chopped
- Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 3 Roasted Beets peeled and cut into cubes
- 6 slices Smoked Salmon
- 4 cups Arugula
- 1/2 Avocado sliced
- 1 tbsp Chives or Scallion
- 1 tbsp Fresh Dill
- 1/2 Lemon for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Was and fry the beets with paper towel. Place them individually on the aluminum foil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and olive oil. Wrap them and place them on a sheet pan;
- Roast the beets for 50 minutes to an hour, depending on their size. Unwrap each beet and set aside for 10 minutes; until cool enough to handle;
- Peel the beets with a small, sharp knife over a piece of parchment paper and cut into quarters;
- In the meantime, in a food processor combine the goat cheese, buttermilk, white wine vinegar, olive oil, dill, salt and pepper;
- Turn on the food processor and mixed until smooth. Set aside.
- Separate slices of smoked salmon.
- Slice the avocado;
- Put the arugula on a serving platter and then arrange the beets, salmon, avocado and sprinkle with chives and dill.
- Drizzle with goat cheese dressing and sprinkle with some lemon juice. Serve immediately.