This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Poached Egg on Parmesan Tomato Toast is a delightful breakfast option. Runny egg yolk infuses with the tomatoes and herbs and is beautifully balanced by a crusty parmesan topping – making for an irresistibly perfect breakfast bite.
Poached Egg on Parmesan Tomato Toast – Super Easy Breakfast Idea
This Poached Egg on Parmesan Tomato Toast with the decadence of runny egg yolk, is a “go to” favorite of mine. It’s also super easy to make. It may be intimidating to poach an egg, but it’s actually pretty simple. To poach an egg you will need:
- Boiling water in a shallow pot;
- A splash of white vinegar (about a tablespoon);
- A small bowl to crack the egg into;
- Then you drop the egg slowly into the boiling liquid; &
- After 3 minutes you have a perfectly poached egg.
How to Make Poached Egg on Parmesan Tomato Toast
To make this Poached Egg on Parmesan Tomato Toast you’ll need a:
- Perfectly poached egg;
- Top quality multigrain or sourdough bread;
- Fresh ripe tomato, chopped into small cubes;
- Freshly chopped parsley;
- Shredded parmesan cheese;
- Olive oil;
- Ground sesame seeds; &
- Salt and pepper.
Poached Eggs: “Eggs in a Water”
We love all kinds of eggs including poached eggs in my house. I frequently make different variations of Eggs Benedict. My husband refers to these poached eggs as “eggs in the water,” and he often calls it “weird science.” When I ask him on a weekend, what he wants for breakfast, he simply requests, “eggs in the water, please.”
Because we love them so much and have them so often, I’ve become a little creative with these ‘scientific’ eggs in water. You may find this Smashed Avocado Poached Egg Toast with feta appealing, or you may want to try these Easy Crepes Eggs Benedict. The eggs can also be poached in the sauce like in this recipe for Shakshouka – classic Mediterranean Breakfast.
This Poached Egg on Parmesan Tomato Toast came out really good: Tomatoes with herbs, and then balanced by a crispy delicious, almost crusty, parmesan cheese…it’s to die for! And by topping it off with a runny poached egg make it really divine. I then finished it all off with some toasted ground sesame seeds to elevate this simple dish.
I usually keep toasted ground sesame seeds on hand. I just put sesame seeds on a non-stick pan and toast them until they are a golden brown. Once toasted, I grind them in a coffee grinder and use them as an extra spice for many dishes.
Poached Egg on Parmesan Tomato Toast
- 4 eggs
- 2 slices bread round rustic multigrain or sourdough
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese of shredded
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 cups of water
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds Toasted ground
- Dice tomatoes into small cubes and place it in a small bowl;
- Chop parsley and add to tomatoes;
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper and mix together, set aside;
- In the meantime bring water to boil;
- Add vinegar;
- Crack each egg individually into a small bowl and slowly pour it into the pot with boiling water with vinegar;
- Once all eggs are in the pot set a timer for 3 minutes;
- While the eggs are in the pot, assemble toasts;
- Cut the bread slices in half;
- Place a spoonful of tomatoes onto the bread;
- Top each one with a tablespoon of parmesan cheese and toast until the cheese is melted and a little crispy - approximately 4 min;
- Make sure to take out eggs in the same order you put them in;
- Place the eggs on the paper towel to remove excess water;
- Once the toasts are ready, place the poached egg on top, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and toasted ground sesame seeds and serve immediately.
This post was originally published on April 24, 2014, and was since then updated to provide additional information.
If you like this recipe you may also like these egg recipes: