This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
- Polish Meat Pierogi - January 5, 2021
- Borscht (Barszcz Czerwony) – Authentic Polish Recipe - December 10, 2020
- Mushroom Pierogi “Uszka” for Borscht - December 8, 2020
These Oven Baked Eggs with Sausage, Peppers & Onions are super easy to make yet absolutely delicious. They’re also elegant and perfect for special occasions, like Mother’s Day.
Oven baked eggs with sausage, peppers and onions are as good as they sound.
Peppers and onions are a classic pairing; and when topped with sausage, they bring a familiar Italian taste. When you crack the eggs on top of this base and bake them to perfection (“perfection” = when egg whites are set and egg yolks are running) you have a winner!
This breakfast is so easy to make, yet it really is elegant and capable of “wowing” your guests. It can work beautifully for Mother’s Day brunch, or for any other occasion worthy of a little extra breakfast punch. If you’re an out-of-the-box chef, you can also serve it as a dinner. Why not? It has proteins and veggies and will surely satisfy.
The steps are very easy to follow:
- Peel your onion and cut in half, then in slices;
- Cut your pepper in small slices;
- Heat up some oil or butter in a pan and sauté onions and peppers until soft (about 10 minutes);
- In the meantime, bake your favorite breakfast sausage in your toaster oven ( I used Maple Chicken as that’s the one my whole family loves the most – we use Applegate – I am not affiliated with this company, we just simply love their meats);
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F;
- Once the sausage and onion/pepper mixture is done, spray ramekins with cooking oil;
- Create a base of peppers/onions at the bottom of the ramekins;
- Add sliced sausages;
- Crack the eggs on top;
- Season with salt and pepper, and;
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until egg whites are set, but egg yolks are still runny.
Scroll down for full, printable recipe below.
This oven baked eggs recipe is also super versatile. You can make all sorts of different variations like:
- Make it vegetarian and skip the sausage
- Use different kinds of sausage (e.g., instead of chicken use pork or turkey)
- You can add shredded cheese
- You can use different ingredients like these baked eggs with tomatoes and feta
- You can use fresh peppers instead of cooked – for a bit of crunch
- You can also use different veggies…like sautéd spinach or zucchinis
Oven Baked Eggs with Sausage, Peppers & Onions
- 1 yellow onion - small to medium, cut in slices
- 1 red bell pepper - small, cut into small slices
- 4 links breakfast sausage
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp cooking oil, ghee or butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- Heat up oil or butter in the frying pan, add onions and cook for about 3 minutes
- Add peppers to the pan and cook together with onions for another 5-7 minutes until vegetables are soft. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- In the meantime cook your breakfast sausage links according to instructions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Spray the ramekins with the cooking spray
- Once onions and peppers are cooked divide them between the ramekins
- Cut up the sausages into the bite sizes and pace on top of the peppers/onions mixture
- Crack 2 eggs into each ramekin
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the egg whites are set and yolks still running
- Serve immediately. You may sprinkle them with some chopped parsley and serve with crusty bread.
- You can use any breakfast sausage you like. My family loves chicken maple sausage and that's the one I used in this recipe
- Cooking time varies depending on the size of the ramekins, so after 15 minutes watch them carefully to take out at the right time when egg whites are just set and egg yolks are still runny.
If you like this Oven Baked Eggs recipe you may like other Branch/breakfast options for special occasions: