This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
- Turkey Stuffed Acorn Squash – all fall flavors in one dish - October 22, 2021
- Tomato and Peppers Stew – Hungarian Lecho - August 5, 2021
- Instant Pot® Beef Stroganoff - May 19, 2021
Italian Antipasto Skewers are perfect little bites of a traditional Italian appetizer on a stick. A delicious combination of cured meats, mozzarella balls, marinated artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, and olives, drizzled with a balsamic reduction, makes for one awesome crowd pleaser.
Italian Antipasto Skewers – Great Idea for Entertaining
Italian Antipasto Skewers are such a great idea. Instead of a platter full of antipasti – that sometimes can be difficult to eat on a cocktail party – you can put all of the ingredients on a stick and let your guests enjoy cocktails, conversation and a convenient bite of these amazing Italian Antipasto Skewers.
Traditionally antipasto is the first course of an Italian dinner. Typical ingredients often include cured meats, different cheeses, marinated vegetables (like artichokes, mushrooms, olives, etc…), and anchovies, drizzled in oil or vinegar.
Ingredients Needed to Make Italian Antipasto Skewers
This version of the traditional first course: antipasti contains:
- Two of my favorite Italian cured meats: prosciutto and spicy soppressata;
- Little mozzarella balls (bocconcini) – they are just a perfect bite;
- Marinated artichoke hearts – super flavorful and also super healthy;
- Green olives – my personal favorite, but any olives will do great here;
- Cherry tomatoes – cocktail tomatoes, or small heirloom can do well too; and
- Balsamic reduction – I used store bought from Trader Joe’s but it is very easy to make ( See recipe notes below).
More of an Idea than a Recipe
Keep in mind that this is more of an idea than a strictly prescribed recipe. It can be easily tailored to include whatever ingredients you want to use as well as the quantities of ingredients needed, depending on how many skewers you actually want to make.
Italian Antipasti can be compared to French hors d’oeuvre, or Greek Meze, or Spanish Tapas. Obviously, all look to provide little bites of flavor before the entree; to wake up your appetite and compliment the main course. Regardless which type of appetizer we’re referring to, I must admit that I love all of them: Italian, French, Greek and Spanish!!!
Other Appetizers Ideas
If you’re looking for other great crowd-pleasing appetizers for your next party, you can also check this:
- Raspberry Baked Brie En Croute with Toasted Walnuts, or my
- Grilled Shrimp with Garlic Sauce, or
- Chipotle Hummus with Roasted Pine Nuts, or this
- Pan con Tomate with Crispy Prosciutto.
But I must admin these Italian Antipasto Skewers are my new favorite (especially for the summer)! You can serve them before your next BBQ and I’m sure your guests will be very impressed with the sophistication.
Other Italian Recipes to Try:
- Penne Alla Vecchia Bettola
- Pasta Alla Vodka with Spicy Sausage
- Veal Rollatini in Tomato-Olive Sauce
- Cheesy Pasta Bake in Individual Ramekins
- Shrimp Scampi Spaghetti
Italian Antipasto Skewers with Balsamic Reduction
- 6 slices Prosciutto
- 6 slices Soppressata - spicy
- 6 balls Mozzarella - mini
- 18 Cherry tomatoes
- 12 Olives
- 6 Artichokes marinated, cut in half
- Basil or parsley leaves
- 3 tbsp Balsamic vinegar reduced
- Using wooden skewers add antipasto ingredients in whatever order you prefer. I like to start and end with either tomatoes or olives.
- Drizzle the skewers with balsamic reduction and basil or parsley leaves. You can also add basil or parsley leaves in between other ingredients.
- Add balsamic vinegar to the pot and heat up on a low heat until reduced to the point that it sticks to the back of the spoon.
This post was originally published on May 29, 2017, and since then was updated to provide additional information.