This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
- Chicken Chasseur (French Hunter’s Chicken) - September 25, 2023
- Rosol – Polish Chicken Soup (Authentic Recipe) - September 18, 2023
- Grilled Chicken Shawarma (Easy Middle Eastern Dish) - September 14, 2023
Ham and Cheese Crepes are one of the most famous French street foods. A simple batter of flour, milk, eggs and butter, combine to make perfect crepes. Stuff them up with sliced ham and melted cheese, and you’ll be immediately transported of a French street corner.
Ham and Cheese Crepes are no longer just indigenous to France; nowadays they can be found all around the world. They’ve become so popular that almost every street fair now seems to have a crepes stand. They usually have different variations of both sweet and savory crepes, but ham and cheese is always a staple.
Now, by incorporating my recipe for a Perfect French Crepes batter (see the video above) you can make this amazing dish right at home.
How to Make Ham and Cheese Crepes
- You’ll just need few simple ingredients:
- Ham; and
- As noted in the batter recipe, you’ll just need either a blender or a hand mixer to make a batter.
- Place it in a fridge for 30 minutes, and then fry up the beautifully rounded crepes.
- Add ham and cheese, and enjoy this little taste of France.
And it’s just that simple. How easy was that?
Other Savory Crepes Variations
I also like to eat my crepes for breakfast too. If you’re inclined, you can try my crepes breakfast recipes too: Crepes with Egg, Ham and Cheese, or these Easy Crepes Eggs Benedict. And should you feel like light lunch, these Ham and Cheese Crepes will surely satisfied. If you don’t eat meat, you can try different savory variations like:
- Tomatoes and cheese;
- Mushroom and cheese;
- Asparagus and cheese;
- Spinach and feta;
- Spinach and egg;
- Leeks and blue cheese;
- Leeks and brie cheese
- Sautéed onions and cheese; OR
- A combination of any of the above.
Sweet Crepes Variations
Should your sweet tooth need some exercise, you can try:
- Strawberries and whipped cream;
- Bananas and chocolate;
- Peaches with whipped cream;
- Jelly and almond butter;
- Blueberries and cream cheese; OR
- (you guessed it…) A combination of any of the above.
When I worked in a French Brasserie, back in Poland, many moons ago, we would make all different kinds of crepes (including ones that had added spinach to the batter). But the important part was that they all used local, seasonal ingredients.
So for example, if the peaches were in season then we would serve crepes with peaches. Likewise, if the tomatoes were in season then we would have few variations that incorporated tomatoes.
My point is that you can be creative and use whatever you’d like or whatever is currently speaking to you in your local farmer’s market. But anytime you feel like taking is back to French basics, then just make this Ham and Cheese Crepe and you won’t be disappointed. Oh, and if you’d like to learn more about crepes then you can check this great “Crepe” article on Wikipedia.
Other French Recipes you may like:
- Classic Croque Monsieur
- Chunky Potato Leek Soup
- Chicken Provencal with Shallots and Garlic
- Potato Leek Casserole
Ham and Cheese Crepes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour all purpose
- 3/4 cup milk whole or 2%
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp butter melted, cooled off
- 6 oz ham sliced
- 6 oz cheese sliced or shredded
- Add eggs, flour, milk, water and melted butter to the blender and mix well together. Place the batter in a fridge for 1/2 hour
- Brush non stick 10 inches skillet with butter and heat it up
- Using a ladle pour one ladle of batter on a pan and swirl around to cover all bottom of the pan with the crepes batter
- Cook it for about a minute
- Using spatula flip it and cook for a minute on the other side
- Add slice of cheese and slice of ham, fold and cook for another minute until the cheese is melted
- Continue with the remaining batter, ham and cheese until all are used.