This recipe for a Buffalo Chicken Grilled Pizza is the second recipe in my Budweiser Sauces and Marinades challenge. For this recipe, I used two Budweiser products: Buffalo Chicken Marinade for the chicken, and the Mild Wing Sauce for the pizza. This is a super delicious recipe that manages to blend all the flavors from the upcoming football season but in the middle of summer.
This post may contain affiliate links. I get commissions for purchases made through the affiliate links. You can read my disclosure policy HERE.
I received samples of the Budweiser sauces to create this recipe.
If you missed my first post in Budweiser Sauces and Marinades challenge, go check it out. It’s a really fantastic Smoky BBQ Burger with Garlic Aioli & Fried Egg – it also has some pickled onions 🙂
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Pizza – Perfect for the Summer
When I first saw the Buffalo Chicken Marinade and Wing sauces in my package from Budweiser, I contemplated not using them because I didn’t really want to feature a standard chicken wing. Let’s face it…most people are familiar with your basic chicken wing + it really isn’t the season for them.
But then, I had an epiphany. What if I incorporated all these familiar American ‘football’ flavors into a rustic Italian pizza? As I mentioned before, I really love food fusions! So this really sounded like a splendid idea to me…an American-Italian masterpiece.
However, since we’re now in the midst of our summer heatwave in New York I really didn’t want to fire up my oven to 450F to make a pizza in the oven, and in the process make my house even hotter. Hence, the idea of grilling the pizza outside.
And let me tell you something, grilling dough is so much different than baking it in the oven – so much more airy. It’s super delicious and SUPER EASY to make!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Grilled Pizza
Again, this is a very simple recipe. You will need to give it a head start though. In order to have a delicious Buffalo-style chicken, you’ll have to marinade it first. Ideally, you’ll be able to marinade the chicken overnight, but at least 6 hours is recommended.
So if you’re planning to have it for dinner, you can just marinade the chicken in the morning and you’ll be good to go. Then you’ll just need to grill it and have it ready for pizza.
Then you will just need to grill pizza dough, add sauce, cheeses and you’re done. Scroll down and I’ll walk you through my step by step tutorial.
This recipe requires only a few simple ingredients:
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs;
- Budweiser Buffalo Chicken Marinade;
- Store-bought pizza dough;
- Budweiser Mild Wing Sauce;
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese;
- Crumbled Blue Cheese;
- Ricotta Cheese; &
- Celery sticks.
Step by Step Tutorial to Make this Buffalo Chicken Grilled Pizza
- Marinade your boneless, skinless chicken thighs in ‘Budweiser Brewmaster’s Premium Marinade: Buffalo Chicken,’ ideally overnight, but for a minimum of 6 hours (1 lb of chicken or 4 chicken thighs will be enough for a single pound of pizza dough which would make two pizzas);
- When you’re ready to make your pizza, roll or stretch out your dough and prepare your Budweiser Mild Wing Sauce, cheeses and cut up your celery (Tip: make sure to cover the dough with some plastic wrap so it doesn’t get dry, especially considering you’re making 2 pizzas and you will most likely need to make one at the time on the grill);
- Heat up your grill to high, spray with some cooking spray;
- Remove the chicken from marinade and grill it on both sides, until cooked through (about 4-5 minutes on each side);
- Set aside and cover with aluminum foil, to rest and keep it warm;
- Clean up your grill with a grill brush to make sure that there’s no chicken residue, otherwise, your pizza dough could stick to the grill;
- Brush olive oil on your stretched dough and throw it on your grill oiled side down. Cook it for about 1 minute, until grilled marks are visible on the bottom and the dough bubbles on the top;
- Brush the dough with oil on the top side, and using tongs, flip it to grill it on the other side for another minute;
- Once your dough is cooked, take the dough off of the grill place it onto a baking sheet. Cover your grill to retain heat;
- Spoon over the Budweiser Mild Wing Sauce;
- Add a few dollops of ricotta cheese, spread shredded mozzarella and crumbled blue cheese;
- Place the sheet pan with pizza back on the grill and close the cover. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the cheeses are melted;
- Remove sheet pan from the grill, place your pizza on cutting board or a pizza peel ,
- Cut your chicken into cubes & add on top of the pizza;
- Add celery and your pizza is ready to be served;
- Repeat with the other pizza dough.
Tip: You can make this recipe using your oven instead. You can grill the chicken on a griddle and using a hot pizza stone to cook your pizza at 450F for about 10 minutes. See Recipe notes for more details.
I used the Buffalo Chicken Budweiser Marinade and Brewmaster’s Premium Mild Wing Sauce for this Buffalo Chicken Grilled Pizza recipe, but you can use the hot version of the sauce if you prefer a bit of spice. You can check all the options on the Budweiser website or any of their social media: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram.
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Pizza
- 1 lbs Chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 package Budweiser Buffalo Chicken Marinade
- 1 lbs Pizza dough store-bought
- 1/2 cup Budweiser Wing Sauce Mild
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Blue Cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup Celery sticks chopped
- Flour & semolina for rolling the pizza
- Olive Oil to brush pizza dough
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Marinating the chicken: Place the chicken into the bag with marinade and place in the fridge for overnight, or for at least 6 hours.
- Preparing the pizza dough: Remove pizza dough from the fridge a few hours before cooking. Pizza dough should be at room temperature. Dust your cutting board or pizza peel with flour & semolina. Cut the dough in a half and place one of the halves on your board. Cover the other half with plastic wrap to avoid drying out. Roll or stretch the pizza so it is approx. 12 inches round or square. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Prepare pizza toppings: Place sauce, all 3 cheese and cut up celery into a little bowls, so you have everything ready when your pizza crust is cooked.
- Grilling the chicken: Heat up your grill to high and spray with cooking spray. Remove the chicken from the marinade and cook on each side for about 5 minutes, until the internal temperature shows 165F. Remove the chicken from the grill and cover with aluminum foil. Using a grill brush, clean up your grill to prepare for pizza.
- Grilling the pizza dough: Brush the top of your pizza with olive oil and throw your dough onto the grill oiled side down. Cook for about 1 minute, until grill marks are visible at the bottom and bubbles form on the top. Brush the top of the dough with olive oil and using thongs flip the dough onto the other side. Cook for another minute then remove onto a baking sheet. Cover your grill to retain heat.
- Assembling the pizza: Spread 1/2 of the wing sauce onto your pizza dough, add 1/2 of the ricotta cheese (small dollops all over the dough), add half of the mozzarella and blue cheese. Place the whole baking sheet back onto the grill. Cover and cook for 3 minutes, until the cheeses are melted. Remove from the grill. **Be careful and use heavy kitchen mittens to avoid burning yourself.
- Finishing up the dish: Cut up your chicken into small cubes. Spread half of the chicken onto your pizza and sprinkle with half of the celery. Repeat the whole process for the other half of your pizza dough. Enjoy.
- Place the pizza stone into the oven and preheat it to 450F;
- Heat up the stone for about 1/2 hour;
- Grill your chicken on a griddle for about 5 minutes on each side until the internal temperature shows 165F. Remove and cover with aluminum foil;
- Using a pizza peel dusted with flour & semolina, roll or stretch half of your pizza dough, add half of the wing sauce and cheeses on top;
- Carefully slide the pizza onto the hot stone in the oven and cook for 10 minutes;
- Remove from the oven, add half of the cut up chicken and celery sticks;
- Repeat with the other half of the pizza dough.