This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
I know it’s hard to get super enthusiastic about salad. But this is The Best Green Salad Recipe I’ve ever tried. It’s made from only 5 simple ingredients and comes together in no time. It’s a perfect side dish for any meal. It’s an easy option for parties, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
This simple green salad is extremely versatile. I often pair it with these Brown Sugar Pork Chops or these Oven Roasted Chicken Legs because these dishes are super simple to prepare and I enjoy being able to put together a healthy meal with not much fuss, especially during the busy weeknights (who doesn’t right?).
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my disclosure policy HERE.
As mentioned, I often make this salad during our busy weeknights for a quick, healthy and delicious side dish. However, this can be a really great salad to serve for your Holidays too. The dishes on your Thanksgiving or Christmas table often tend to be a little heavy. Therefore I really like to brighten them up with this wonderful green salad. It’s super fresh and brightens up the whole meal.
Only 5 simple ingredients are needed for the Best Green Salad Recipe
- Romaine lettuce;
- Red Onions;
- Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese;
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil;
- Lemon juice;
How to make this simple green salad
This green salad couldn’t be easier to make.
- If you’re buying lettuce that’s prewashed and pre-cut, just assemble it on a plate. If you’re buying the whole Romaine lettuce then, you should wash it, cut it, and use a lettuce dryer to remove excess water; Then place the lettuce on a serving platter;
- Thinly slice your red onions in rounds or half moons and arrange the onions on top of the bed of lettuce;
- Grate some fresh Parmigiano Reggiano over the lettuce and onions;
- Add some freshly ground black pepper;
- In a jar, combine extra virgin olive oil, and fresh lemon juice; Shake it, and pour over the lettuce;
- Sprinkle with salt, to your liking.
What substitutions can I use for this green salad?
- I love Romaine lettuce because of the crunch, but you can use whatever lettuce you like (for example butter, iceberg, mixed greens, arugula, spinach etc…)
- For me, there’s nothing better sprinkled on top of lettuce than freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. But I know it can be pricey, so you could substitute it with pre-grated Parmesan cheese from the store, or even a sharp cheddar;
- I used lemon juice as I really love how it brightens up this salad, but if you’d prefer you can use a vinegar of your choice;
What to serve with this salad?
In addition to the two easy dinner dishes that I’ve mentioned above, I can give you a couple of more suggestions on what to serve this green salad with:
- Fall Harvest Turkey Breast;
- Slow Cooker Turkey Breast;
- Brown Sugar Pork Loin;
- Mustered Chicken with Clementines;
- Roasted Chicken Provencal;
- Tuscan Chicken with Potatoes.
Tools needed to make this green salad…
- A cutting board – everyone needs a good one;
- A Set of Knives – I got these for my birthday & they’re amazing!
- Lettuce Dryer – I can’t live without one; I usually buy whole lettuce and need to dry it out;
- Oval Platter – it is a very simple salad but the presentation can make it look really fancy, so try to serve it on an oval platter for the “Wow” factor.
- Cheese Grater – this tool is pretty versatile, it can also be used to grate nutmeg, lemon zest or fresh ginger;
- Pepper Mill – this gadget gets heavy use is the very important gadget in my kitchen;
- Mason Jar – you can’t ever have too many of those.
Let me know how you liked this simple green salad! And don’t let its simplicity fool you, it really is the best green salad.
The Best Green Salad Recipe
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce cut
- 1/2 small Red Onion sliced thinly in half moons or rounds
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese freshly grated
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1-2 tbsp Lemon Juice Freshly squeezed from one lemon
- Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
- Cut up your Romaine lettuce in about 2 inches pieces, wash it and dry it;
- Arrange lettuce on an oval platter;
- Top the lettuce with rounds or half moons of thin red onions;
- Add grated cheese on top of the lettuce and onions;
- In a mason jar, combine lemon juice with olive oil and shake well;
- Pour over lemon juice with olive oil all over the lettuce;
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.