Chicken Provencal with Shallots and Garlic
This Chicken Provencal with Shallots and Garlic is one of the best and easiest French chicken recipes you’ll find. The chicken is first coated with flour, then seared to golden brown and finally pan roasted to perfection, with shallots, garlic, wine and plenty of Herbs de Provence.
- 3 Chicken Legs or 4; whole quarters
- 6 Shallots medium size, peeled and cut up in quarters
- 8 cloves Garlic peeled
- 1/2 cup Wondra flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Herbs de Provence
- 1/2 Lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup Dry Red Wine or Dry White Wine
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil or Ghee for searing the chicken
- Salt & Pepper
Preheat your oven to 400F;
Season your chicken with salt, pepper and half of the Herbs de Provence on both sides;
Heat up oil in the skillet, to a sizzle;
Put the flour in a shallow pan or plate and lightly coat your chicken in it; shake the chicken to remove excess flour.
Sear the chicken in a cast iron or other oven proof skillet on both sides until golden brown and crispy (about 2-3 minutes on each side);
In the meantime, peel and cut your shallots in quarters;
Peel your garlic;
Add shallots, garlic, lemon juice, red wine (or white) and remaining Herbs de Provence to the skillet;
Transfer your skillet to the oven and roast the chicken for 25-30 minutes until the internal temperatures reaches 165F;
Remove from the oven, place on a serving plate and enjoy!
- If you use 4 chicken legs, you can add one more shallot and two more garlic cloves but the rest of the ingredients can stay the same.
- You can use chicken thighs or drumsticks instead. You can use about 6-7 pieces (depending on the size) for this recipe.
- If you want to brine your chicken, dissolve 3 tablespoons of salt in 3 cups of water and brine the chicken for 30 minutes.
Calories: 552kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 119mg | Sodium: 116mg | Potassium: 485mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 120IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2.5mg