Nokedli (Hungarian Egg Noodles)
Nokedli are Hungarian noodles which are very similar to German Spätzle. Best part is that they come together in absolutely no time and taste divine. Serve them drizzled with butter, or as a side dish to any saucy dishes.
- 1 cup Flour All-purpose
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt Kosher
- 2 Eggs Large
- 2 tbsp Sour Cream Optional
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Water
Place flour with salt in a bowl and whisk.
Add eggs and sour cream and start mixing.
Add water starting from 1/2 cup and you can go as much as to 3/4 cup.
Mix all the ingredients but don't overdo it. The lumps are fine.
Bring a big pot of water to boil and salt it as much as you would salt the water for pasta.
Using one of the methods described in the notes pour the dough onto the boiling water.
Let the noodles come to the surface and boil for a minute. Remove from the pot and serve.
TIPS & TRICKS
TIP1: Although not a traditional ingredient, sour cream can do a world of good for these awesome noodles. The fat in sour cream can help break down the gluten, so the noodles come out super soft and not chewy or hard.
TIP2: if you have the time, let the dough rest for 30 minutes before dropping them into the water. The noodles will be even softer.
- The easiest way to make these noodles is by using the Nokedli or Spatzle maker.
- But if you don’t want to have another piece of equipment in your kitchen try one of these methods:
- The back of a cheese grater, with big holes; where you can pour the dough through and use a spatula push it down into the boiling water;
- A colander, with big holes, with a similar technique as above; pushing the dough through the holes into the boiling water;
- Placing the dough on a wet cutting board (angled above your water) and then cut little pieces of dough with the back of your knife straight into the boiling water. If you decide to use this technique, your dough should be slightly thicker than the one you would push through the holes (use less water or no water at all).
Calories: 157kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 331mg | Potassium: 64mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 156IU | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 2mg