Zapiekanka (Open Face Sandwich with Mushroom and Cheese)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Open Face Sandwich with Mushroom and Cheese is a famous Polish street food called Zapiekanka or Zapiekanki in the plural. You can find them on every corner in Poland.
- 1 half Baguette Cut lengthwise
- 8 oz Mushrooms Chopped or shredded white button or Baby Bella
- 1 tablespoon Butter unsalted (if you using sauted mushrooms)
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese (Mexican blend, or cheddar, or monster, or mozzarella)
- Ketchup (use as much or as little as you like)
- Chopped chives or scallions for extra flavor
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 F.
In a saute pan melt butter and add mushrooms.
Add salt and pepper and saute mushrooms for 5-7 minutes.
Cut your baguette in half lengthwise. Add mushrooms on each half of baguette.
Add shredded cheese.
Place in the oven and bake for about 7 minutes.
You may want to also place them under the broiler for 1-2 minutes for extra browning.
Once cooked, add ketchup and sprinkle with chives or scallions.
Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 394mg | Potassium: 235mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 275IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 166mg | Iron: 1.3mg