Brussels Sprouts Soup Recipe (European Style)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Brussels Sprouts Soup is an amazing dish that can be served from the end of summer throughout the cold winter months. It's very easy to make and tastes delicious. It can be served chunky or creamy, depending on your preferences, and accompanied with a piece of crusty bread.
- 1 Leek Cleaned and chopped
- 2 stalks Celery Chopped
- 3 Carrots Medium, chopped
- 4 Yellow Potatoes Medium, chopped
- 1 Parsnip Whole or chopped
- 3 cups Brussels Sprouts Cleaned, outer leaves removed, whole or cut in half
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Butter + optional more Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling to finish up the soup
- 5 cups Broth Chicken or vegetables
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Lemon juice Optional, few drops into each bowl to enhance a flavor
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Maggi Seasoning Optional to taste
Prepare your vegetables:
Peel and chop carrots;
Clean and chop your leek;
Peel and cube the potatoes;
Clean and chop celery;
Peel the parsnip (I use it whole and discard it at the end of cooking, but feel free to chop it like carrots and leave it in the soup);
Wash your Brussels sprouts, discard outer leaves, gently trim the ends (you can leave them whole or cut them in halves, making sure that stem is intact so they don't fall apart in the soup).
Cook the Soup:
In a Dutch Oven or other pot with a lid, heat up butter or olive oil;
Add leeks and cook for about 3 minutes, until softened;
Add carrots and celery and cook for another 3-4 minutes;
Add Brussels Sprouts, potatoes and parsnip;
Pour in the broth, cover and cook for about 20-25 minutes, until all the veggies are cooked.
Finish up the Soup:
Pour the cream into a cup and slowly add some of the soup broth to temper the cream;
Once you have a full cup of liquid, pour it over into the pot;
Check for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper;
Garnish with parsley and serve with crusty bread.
For an extra flavor's boost add few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and few drops of Maggie seasoning (all of which are optional).
Ways to Alter this Recipe
- Vegan: you can easily make this recipe vegan by:
- using olive oil and not butter;
- skipping the cream;
- for a thicker consistency, you could blend some of the soup.
- With Meat:
- Brussels sprouts go hand in hand with bacon, so you could fry up some bacon, chop it, and then add it to the bowls for serving;
- Another good meat option would be seared, cubed ham; or seared kielbasa, or other sausages.
- You could serve it chunky;
- Or you can blend it for a creamier version;
- If you want your soup chunky but a little thicker, you could pour a couple of ladles into a blender, blend it and add it back to the pot.
Calories: 264kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 853mg | Potassium: 1028mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6443IU | Vitamin C: 62mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 6mg