Rotkohl (German Braised Red Cabbage)
Rotkohl is a classic German side dish for braised red cabbage. It may be served with or without bacon and it has a very distinct sweet and sour cabbage flavor. It's braised in apple cider with a touch of sugar (sometimes with the addition of cherry preserve) and spices then finished off with an apple cider vinegar.
- 2 tbsp Butter Unsalted
- 4 cups Red Cabbage Shredded (half a medium head of cabbage, it can be up to 5 cups)
- 1 Yellow Onions chopped, small size or half medium size
- 1 Apple any kind, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 cup Apple Cider up to 1.5 cups
- 4 slices Bacon chopped, optional
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Salt more or less to taste
- 1 Bay Leave
- 5 cornels Allspice
- 5 Cloves
- 2 Juniper Berries optional
- 1 tablespoon Cherry preserve optional
- Fresh Dill for garnish
Chop your onions, apple, and cabbage;
Heat up your butter in the braising pot; add onions and sauté for about 5 minutes, until translucent.
Add cabbage, apple and spices (sugar, salt, pepper, allspice, clove, bay leaf, and if using juniper berries), apple cider and preserve if using; cover it up.
Braise the cabbage for approximately an hour. Mix it frequently to avoid burning and add more liquid as needed (you can add a little bit more apple cider, but at this stage mostly add water or vegetable stock). Make sure your cabbage is mostly submerged in liquid.
Chop bacon and fry up the pieces, until crispy.
Add apple cider vinegar to the cabbage; mix well and taste for seasoning. Adjust with salt and pepper as needed.
Transfer the cabbage to a serving dish, top with bacon and (optionally) with dill.
- Juniper berries and cherry preserve are optional ingredients and you don't have to use them if you don't have them;
- You don't need to add bacon to this braised cabbage;
- You can make it vegan by using oil instead of butter and skipping the bacon;
- Make sure your cabbage is submerged in liquid; add up to 1.5 cups of apple cider and the remaining liquid should either water or the broth of your choice.
Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 1390mg | Potassium: 421mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 1195IU | Vitamin C: 56.3mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 1.1mg